Interested in learning more about the basic concepts and practice of decentralization in African countries?
The African School on Decentralisation, presented by African and international scholars and practitioners, aims to give content to, and promote the African Union’s Charter on the Values and Principles of Decentralisation, Local Governance and Local Development. The program will be held from 3 – 16 September, 2023 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The School seeks to create a platform for knowledge-sharing on the vast array of issues affecting and/or arising out of decentralization in Africa thus contributing towards increased knowledge and research outputs, policy innovation and the promotion of good governance. The course will offer sessions based on revolving themes drawn from contemporary issues concerning decentralization in Africa. It will include lectures, interactive panel discussions, case studies and study visits to institutions of decentralization. At the end of the course, a general assessment will be administered and a postgraduate certificate issued to the participants jointly by the two hosting Universities.
The objectives of this two-week course are to:
- create a platform for knowledge-sharing on the vast issues affecting and/or arising out of decentralization in Africa, thus contributing towards increased knowledge, research outputs as well as innovation.
- create and maintain an active practitioner and scholarly network (Alumni) across the African continent for purposes of knowledge-sharing and the execution of joint projects.
- create a pool of literature for reference by African states considering the adoption of decentralization as part of the African Union’s push for adoption of the African Union Charter on Decentralization.
- open African systems of decentralization to consistent scrutiny by researchers thus providing room for policy innovation and the promotion of good governance.
- give content to and contribute towards the operationalization of the African Union Charter on Decentralization.
- contribute towards processes of peace-making, state-building and development in Africa.
- locate the African decentralization experience within the global discourse of decentralization.
Course organizers will be hosting an informational webinar on 12 April 2023, 10:00 AM (SAST). Register here for the info webinar!
For any queries please contact: Dr Henry Paul Gichana
Tel: +27 (0)21 959 2950 / 51